ATC Group Services, LLC (ATC) recently partnered with a large developer to redevelop several sizable adjacent tracts of extremely high value real estate. The project involved environmental due diligence, building demolition, and redevelopment to best applicable mixed use. The project is considered the largest project in financial terms ever conducted within the North Carolina Brownfields Programand included assessment, environmental decommissioning and abatement, demolition, and targeted remediation during redevelopment.
ATC’s involvement in the environmental components of the project included the following:
- Identifying client-focused technical and financial goals in the early parts of the project.
- Conducting standard initial due diligence through a Phase I Environmental Site Assessment (ESA) and an asbestos survey of the 600,000 square feet of early to mid-20th century facility buildings on an approximately seven-acre site.
- Performing an initial and additional Phase II ESA to quantify subsurface and interior facility environmental impact, which entailed additional regulated building materials surveys for lead; process-based impact from petroleum and industrial lubricants, as well as from polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in building materials and in process-based conditions.
- Producing a Brownfields Environmental Management Plan (EMP) with various stakeholder involvement and regulatory approval.
- Development and EPA Region 4 approval of a PCB Management Plan for demolition debris management.
- Printing facility industrial decommissioning including concrete surface cleaning and waste accumulation.
- Conducting asbestos abatement oversight, including asbestos abatement design, abatement air monitoring, asbestos waste documentation, and reporting.
- Characterizing and profiling waste for disposal of petroleum underground storage tank (UST)-impacted soils, limited hazardous waste, non-hazardous decommissioning waste, and PCBs under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) as PCB Bulk Product Waste and TSCA remediation waste.
- Oversight and management of waste disposal in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Environmental management of facility floor slabs under the Brownfields EMP by crushing and re-emplacement with plat designation and land use restrictions, which produced significant savings in comparison to traditional off-site disposal.
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitting for construction dewatering in areas with potential groundwater or for surface water that contacts impacted materials during redevelopment.
- On-site management of non-petroleum UST-impacted soils by translocation and plat designation with land use restrictions.
- Brownfields designation for environmental liability indemnity and tax advantages to developers.
- Vapor Mitigation System design, Brownfield Program approval and installation oversight for innovative vapor barrier and subgrade depressurization system installation.
ATC provided proactive consulting throughout the project, so that environmental conditions at the site did not adversely affect schedule and could be anticipated and accommodated financially.
Restoring Life to Communities
ATC takes pride in revitalizing Brownfields sites and restoring them to thriving community spaces. From infrastructure and environmental improvement to job creation and economic growth, our team restores new life to any site — from start to finish. Download a flyer about these services here, or contact us if we can be of assistance.