The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) sets standards to protect workers from mechanical and chemical dangers in the workplace; however, the OSHA regulations only apply to workers in the private sector. Massachusetts recently enacted a new law that will now apply these federal workplace safety standards to municipal workers.
The law will go into effect on February 1, 2019.
The new Massachusetts law includes the following stipulations:
- OSHA standards will now apply to all public employees, including municipal workers and quasi-public agency workers.
- A new OSHA advisory board will be created to evaluate injury and illness data.
- Safety training will be recommended.
- The effectiveness of safety standards will be monitored to determine if any other resources are needed.
ATC Group Services LLC provides a variety of environmental health and safety consulting services to help municipalities comply with OSHA regulations and this new Massachusetts law, including:
- Review of existing programs to prioritize needs
- Targeting of high hazard work operations and insurance claim loss areas
- Development of new written programs
- Updating of existing written programs
- Training and curriculum development
Michael Matilainen is a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) and Certified Safety Professional (CSP). Since 1985, he has provided cost-effective strategies to hundreds of clients to evaluate, identify and control workplace environmental, health and safety hazards. He specializes in regulatory requirements of OSHA and is regularly requested by various organizations to be a professional speaker. Connect with Michael here.
Bob Tuomanen is a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Safety Professional (CSP) and Certified Professional Environmental Auditor (CPEA). He has 35 years of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) experience with expertise in industrial hygiene, chemical and physical agent exposure assessments, indoor air quality, regulatory compliance, occupational safety, human health risk assessment, due diligence, legal support and EHS expert testimony. Connect with Bob here.